Welcome to Queen's Public Health and Preventive Medicine
Public Health and Preventive Medicine is a dynamic field of medicine that directly affects the public’s health on both a local and global scale. It is a specialty focusing on disease prevention that has led to worldwide health improvements through an emphasis on health promotion and protection. Our specialists are guided by a commitment to improve the health of the entire population through population-based assessment and intervention, and share a sense of responsibility to shape public health policy and delivery of excellent public health programs.
Queen’s Public Health and Preventive Medicine is a diverse program that is both challenging and inspiring. Our residents are highly motivated and socially engaged, and benefit from the many strengths of the program including:
- Hands-on training by experienced and qualified public health and preventive medicine specialists. Strong linkages with local public health agencies and provincial agencies provide a wide range of exposure and experience.
- Certification by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada broadens both personal and career opportunities.
- The Family Medicine program at Queen’s University is known nationally for its leadership role in medical education. Residents in the Public Health and Preventive Medicine program directly benefit from its innovative curriculum.
- Integration of a Master of Public Health or Master of Science in Epidemiology degree offered through the Department of Public Health Sciences at Queen’s University makes the program a leader academically.
- Degree programs in public health at other universities in Canada and elsewhere are possible, subject to approval by the academic advisor.
- The flexible program structure allows for choice and customization. Individualized learning plans are developed by each resident with the support of a program lead.
- Both rural and urban rotations and electives are available, as are international placements. Previous residents have completed electives in such locations as Malaysia, Nepal, Zimbabwe and Geneva.
We welcome enquiries from prospective residents and look forward to hearing from you soon.