In addition to our award-winning core residency program, Queen’s is proud to offer a variety of supplementary curriculum experiences tailored to the needs of practice in military settings for residents who are members of the Canadian Forces. These experiences have been developed as a result of our long history of training MOTP and MMTP residents, as well as some of our faculty members’ unique experiences and relationships with the Canadian Forces. We work in close collaboration with the Surgeon General's office to adapt our curriculum and to evaluate the outcomes of these changes. The Queen's program is unique nationally in this respect.
Adapted experiences include:
- - Expanded Psychiatry/Mental Health experience in care of active military members, their families and veterans
- Customized experience in trauma medicine under the direction of the Canadian Forces Major Sir Frederick Banting Chair in Military Trauma Research (currently held by Col. Homer Tien)
- Radiology experience – including ultrasound - Opportunities to work at either CFB Kingston or CFB Trenton
- Core exposure to Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, ICU
- Resident project opportunities through the Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research at Queen’s University