- Research project with a defined hypothesis, method and analysis
- Systematic review/meta analysis (a focused review of studies in a certain area)
- Critical appraisal (a review of key literature on a topic)
- Advocacy (work with a community group to develop a program or resource and then either evaluate or reflect on the process)
- IT project (develop an evidenced-based IT tool (e.g. website or app) to support and enhance medical practice or education)
- Ethics project (identify and analyze an ethical issue in Primary Care
- Quality improvement project (a continuation of your PGY1 QI project)
The quality improvement project is a longitudinal, team-based project completed during your PGY1. You will be taught key QI principles through monthly didactic lectures and small group mentoring. The project will involve choosing a topic pertinent to your local clinic environment, collecting baseline data, engaging key stakeholders, understanding the complexities of the problem, and determining appropriate implementation ideas. Previous QI projects have reviewed management of foot care for diabetics, documentation of children's BMIs, management of patients with asthma, vaccination rates, etc. Your project will be presented to your colleagues and the clinic team in the form of a Grand Rounds presentation at the end of the year.