POSTGRADUATE TRAINING IN ABORIGINAL HEALTH
References for Update
- Preliminary Findings of the First Nations Regional Longitudinal Health Survey 2002-2003. National Aboriginal Health Organization, 2004.
- A Statistical Profile on the health of First Nations in Canada. Health Canada 2001.
- Seven Years Later: An inventory of population health policy since the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples. Canadian Institute for Health Information, Ottawa, 2004.
- Anand, SS, Yusuf, S, Jacobs R. et al. Risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease among Aboriginal people in Canada: the Study of Health Assessment and Risk Evaluation in Aboriginal Peoples (SHARE-AP). Lancet 2001; 358: 1147-53.
- Chandler MJ and Lalonde, C.E. ‘Cultural continuity as a hedge against suicide in Canada’s First Nations ’. Transcultural Psychiatry 1998; 35(2): 191-219.
- Howard BV, Lee ET, Cowan LD et al. Rising Tide of Cardiovascular Disease in American Indians: The Strong Heart Study. Circulation 1999; 99:2389-2395.
- Shah BR, Hux JE, and Zinman B. Increasing Rates of Ischemic Heart Disease in the Native Population of Ontario, Canada. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160:1862-1866.
- Young TK, Reading J, Elias B, and O’Neil JD. Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Canada’s First Nations: status of an epidemic in progress. CMAJ 2000; 163(5): 61-6.
- Tuhiwai Smith, Linda. Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples. University of Otago Press, Dunedin, New Zealand, 1999.
- Boyer, Y. The International Right to Health for Indigenous Peoples in Canada. NAHO Discussion Paper Series in Aboriginal Health: Legal Issues No 3. NAHO, Ottawa, 2004
- Tonelli, M, Hemmelgarn B, Manns B, Pylypchuk G, Bohm, C, Yeates K, Gourishankar S, and Gill JS. Death and renal transplantation among Aboriginal people undergoing dialysis. CMAJ 2004; 171(6): 577-82.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Creating Partnerships, Improving Health: The role of Community-Based Participatory Research. AHRQ, washington, 2003.
- Schnarch, Brian. Ownership, Control, Access, and Possession (OCAP) or Self- Determination Applied to Research: A Critical Analysis of Contemporary First Nations Research and Some Options for First Nations Communities. First Nations Centre, NAHO, Ottawa, 2004.
- Smylie, J, Martin, CM, Kaplan-Myrth, N, Steele, L, Tait, C, and Hogg, W. Knowledge translation and indigenous knowledge. Circumpolar Health 2003;139-143.
- Green, ME, Dialysis, Diabetes and Canada’s Aboriginal Peoples. Can J Rural Med 2003;